Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Joys of parenthood

Brooklyn has been enjoying her new bed, she has been great staying in it at night. I think she enjoys the freedom of being able to climb in and out at night. I always check on her before I go to bed and this is what I found when I opened the door.
I have no idea how she got there but laughed and had to go get Danny to see and them take pictures of course.
Another night with her feet hanging off.


I have been thinking about Potty Training Brooklyn for a little while and asked a friend who has a book called 3 day potty training and it has worked great on her 3 kids each time as early as 18 months. So I read it and decided to jump into it. The first thing it sayd is for the parents to be prepared mentally for this. I thought it will be frustrating, I have watched my sisters go through it but it can't be that bad. WRONG I was. Day 1 the first 2 hours we went through 18 panties and had to quickly wash them. Followed her aroudn the house wiht Lysol wipes and carpet cleaner. It started getting a little better but definitely tested my patience. By the end of the day she had gone pee pee a few times and it was a dry night.
Day 2 I had to babysit our nieghbors daughter so it was a distraction for both of us. We had a few accidents especially pooping. Washed more panties all day but was expecting it to be harder due to having a friend over.
Day 2 in her minnie mouse panties
Dancing around

Day 3 seemed to click better she would  go potty more but still having pooping issues. Which from what I have heard from others is completely normal. Come Friday she was not happy with us because she new it was not good to poop and pee in her pants so her tummy hurt.
Saturday was a really bad day she would cry and not go to the potty only to pea, she was in pain. I was ready to put her back in diapers after sitting in the bathroom with her for an hour trying to help her but she finally went that night some in the potty some in her pants. We missed Cousin Lucy's birthday party beacuse of how the day went. Danny was trying to bribe her with a barbie and money of she went in the potty. We did a chart with stickers, but she is still young so does not quite understand the concept.
 Sunday we had a baptism and a birthday party to attend we barely made it out the door on time to get to the church for the baptism trying to get B to go potty for 20 min before we left. She had a few accidents that mornig so I put her in pull up which I was trying to avoid. She would not talk to us or look at us. She gave us a nasty attitude. I would try to hold her face to look at me and answer me she would look with her eyes straigh at the ceiling. Boy are we in for it in the teenage years. That evening she did great went potty and stayed dry. She does great at night staying dry I wake her up around 3 - 4 am to go potty then around 7 -8 she goes again.
Monday night she completed her pooping chart of going 6 times in the potty and got a barbie and $0.25 in her piggy bank. She was dancing around with the biggest smile I had seen in a while, it was a great moment. Things are getting better each day I ventured out with her to the library and we stayed dry so now I am feeling better about starting her and not like a failure of a parent. I just need work on my patience I pray for more every night.

I think the trauma of potty training has gotten to her, she now sees that her door is slightly opened and ventures out to wake me up with her singing glow worm and a sweet voiced "momma" at the wee hours of the morning. I just love waking up in a panic. Just another joyful thing about parenthood.

Our next challenge this week will be taking a 5 - 6 hour drive to Orgeon to see family. Hopefully we will stay dry on this road trip!

1 comment:

Larry & Little; Claudia said...

Hey Daughter,
Potty training is really a chore! Just think, I had to do it 6 times. Brooklyn is growing up fast and so smart. We love you all
Mom & Dad